Sunday, March 18, 2007

Race Report: KL International Marathon 2007



The day started with a stroke of panic. Chee Yoong was supposed to pick me up at home, but from where he is coming from, the roads were already closed. There was no way he could get to my place. Luckily my brother just got back from his 'aktiviti ronggeng di malam hari'. So I told Chee Yoong to go ahead, and had my brother send me to Dataran Merdeka.


Bought myself a packet of Power Gel, then proceeded to the starting line. RAMAINYA MAKNUSIO!! I couldn't locate any familiar faces. Oh, what the hey. Nanti jumpa la. Few minutes later, the KL Mayor flagged us off.

6:03, azan subuh berkumandang di udara. Ok, time for my subuh prayers. I remembered in school during Agama class, we we're thought how soldiers at war pray (not that they're breeding any freedom fighters, but it may come useful one day. It actually did). So I prayed while running. I wasn't alone. Some stopped and prayed on the sidewalk. Further ahead, I see runners running out of buildings. I can only assume the prayed at the surau. See, boleh buat apa. It's the matter of how important it is to you je.


A lot of people used this side of the number to show their creativity. The best came from Azmar. He wrote there "I'm still a virgin". Hehehe.

The run was pleasant. The nice thing about KLIM is that the route criss-crosses. So I get to see the leading pack where the route crossed. How nice must it feel to run in a pack. But there I was, minding my own business, alone, with my mp3 player crooning on the earphones. Considering its loyal companionship, it qualifies the mp3 player as my girlfriend. If only it had a pair of boobs and a vagina, i would've married the mp3 player.

KL roads are generaly flat. And I've driven and cycled on most of the route, which I consider a psychological upperhand, because I can anticipate what may happen next. I ran slow. Really, really slow. My goal was not to DNF, like what happened in PD half and Putrajaya half.

Everything was fine, until 3 hours into the race. Fatigue set in, and I found myself walking, then running, then back to walking. Near Sogo, I was already very tired, up to a point I ran sideways. Bystanders must be thinking "Gila punya budak." We had to make another lap of 2km to make it an even 21km. The final 1km stretch was the hardest. But I was determined to finish under 4 hours. Not that it mattered, but, hey, sub 4 hours sounds nice.

About 200 meters from the finish line, the primates spotted me. Then semua orang cheered. "Woi!! Azman lah!!" "Go! Go! Go!" I couldn't help it but to smile a bit, walaupun sebenarnya I was in pain. I gave everything I had. My right calf started cramping. Lari tercapit-capit. Ahh bullshit!! I want to cross the finish line in style. So I grit my teeth and swallowed the pain.


Read: Half Marathon Finisher. So what have you done lately?

Alhamdulillah. The digital timer above showed 3 hours 58 minutes. I was happy. I finished the damn race.

I met most of the primates, and met few more for the first time. Stupe, Bean and Harris. It was a pleasure to finally meet you guys.

Few things I learnt from KLIM 2007:

1. I can run for 3 hours non-stop. I can be active for 4 hours non-stop.
2. I am slow because i am heavy.
3. My mp3 player playlist goes for 4 hours before it starts all over again.
4. Adidas shoes rock.
5. Painkillers and ventolin inhaler are runner's best friends.

Plans up ahead:

1. Lose weight.
2. Lose weight.
3. Lose weight.


Official result.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats. completing half marathon is no joke. luckily your mp3 player dont have boobs and vagina, otherwise, you wouldn't be able to complete the race. LOL

18 March, 2007  
Blogger bola2api said...

CONGRATS!! janji habisss!!!

so, u'r joining PD half after this?

19 March, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mental kena kuat beb.. CAYA LA.. CONGRATSssssss... slow pun slow laaa tapi habis gak.. yg penting hati gumbira hihihi..

19 March, 2007  
Blogger The Eraser said...

Congrats Azman!!! Well Done ... u really deserve that boobs & vagina!!! Tapi kawin dulu ... huhuhu ...

19 March, 2007  
Blogger Azman said...

Thanks everyone!!!

Jom PD half lepas nih!!

19 March, 2007  
Blogger TriStupe said...

power la beb...cayala!

:)

19 March, 2007  
Blogger zebrallini said...

man ... .DAMN proud of you bro ... you nearly gave me a heart attack coming into the final chute as you were clearly trying to bring life back to your almost dead legs ... true determination N grit of a runner ... a well deserve medal which you really should brag about ...

congratulations ... you are THERE.

19 March, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yesza, pd half, here we come :D

20 March, 2007  
Blogger Azman said...

Zebs: Seriously, kalau korang takde hari tu, aku tergolek dah aku rasa 50 meters before the finish line. Nampak korang je, terus ada boost of adrenaline. :)) Glad everyone was there.

Jaja: JOMMM!!!

21 March, 2007  
Blogger Steven Yip said...

yo azman rocks,

Great to know you finished... I also ran KLIM 2007 full marathon...

Lari sampai 38km, but had to stop there.

28 March, 2007  
Blogger Steven Yip said...

oh ya...after that..i walked most of the way.

For those guys who want to feel real pain, try marathon.

28 March, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home