Monday, November 05, 2007

Terry Fox Run 2007

It was a tragic comedy. No. Not the run, but what happened that morning.

I had firmly decided that I was going to show up at Terry Fox Run, which made me took a trip back to KL from Batu Pahat. I only brought back my bike (packed in a carrying bag) and a small bag of clothes, just enough for 2 days (nothing I own is in KL. Practically, my parents have thrown me out of the house).

Come Sunday, when I woke up in the morning, my super-efficient domestic helper thought the pile of clothes on the table was meant for wash, so she washed EVERYTHING except for 2 pairs of underwear. Disaster brewing.

I got panic. The next natural thing to do was to look for some stow-away pants. None found. I tried putting on my dad's and brothers' pants. Apparently they don't make people my size anymore.

Bloody hell. I wasn't going to come up with more excuses. No matter what, I have to show up.

So I asked myself, 'What would Terry Fox do?'

Hell, Terry would've just covered himself with anything and go out running.

And the first thing that came to my mind - sarong.

Yes. I put on a bloody sarong and went to the run. I had my mother sent me to the Lake Gardens, and before I left the car, she said "Go out, walk away from the car as quickly as possible."


Gosh. If only I had a ringgit for every person who gave me the eye.

Within minutes I came across Stupe. Aaaahh. A familiar face who can actually help me record this event. So he took this photo for me:



Stupe was with his wife, Aileen and baby Ryan. I had to quickly make a move as I don't want to spoil Ryan, so I said to Stupe I better go 'buy the Terry Fox t-shirt so I don't feel out of place', which was an understatement of the year, really.


Baby Ryan disagrees with my fashion statement.

Ok, enough about me, let's talk about the run.

I wasn't early enough to catch the speech before there run, but I'm sure like last year, it was short, sweet and inspiring.
I am utterly pleased with the turn up. More locals participated in the run this year definitely. A big thank-you-very-much to everyone who came that morning. You have re-stored my faith in Malaysians.


Malaysians!! ATTACK!!!


Cool kid cruising.


This uncle is the man! To those able-bodied people who were having a lie-in that morning, shame on you.


Start them young. Respect them parents. These children are on their first few steps to become runners!


Celebrity sighting. 2 of the 3R. Tini and Rafidah.


Everytime Rafidah appears on TV, I'll go ga-ga-ga for her. If only I had something better to wear, I would've done the 'Hey, how are you doin' maneuver. Only God knows how heartbroken I was at that moment.


Unlike last year, there were more activities to do after the run.


Kids were flocking the sand-art and face painting booth.


Highschoolers hung around the assembly area, gulping free mineral water and munching down free cream puff.


Parents were having fun with their children.


The DJ put on great music from the 80's. Thank God. No sternum-vibrating feng tao music.


Everyone had something to do. Which are all nice things, really. Except the fact that I can't make a clean exit with everyone around!

I spent most of the time either hiding behind an MPV nearby, or sitting on the curb with my bag covering my sarong.

Damn malu lah!


Yep, the t-shirt didn't blend me in with the crowd.

Terry Fox was probably looking down at me, slapping his forehead and went "This wasn't why I ran those marathons!"

Labels:

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GILA

05 November, 2007  
Blogger yipwt said...

oh man...come on...there's always next year...

but..it's a great malaysian fashion statement.

did you ran in those?

05 November, 2007  
Blogger kennysia said...

Ah! So that was you! I was pretty sure I saw you, but I can't be sure.

And the last thing I wanna do is confront a man who had just finished a run wearing a sarong.

Scared he flash me lah.

05 November, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!! errr .... that's a brave thing to do ... (gelak tergolek2).

Nasib baik hang tak turn up with only the underwear ... you are still sane!

Eraser

06 November, 2007  
Blogger Mohd Shazly Khan said...

eh kau ni.. buang tebiat ke menda. still.. aku respek sama lu for wearing that sarong.h. nasib baik aku takde, kalu tak sure aku set u up kat sana.

06 November, 2007  
Blogger Jaja Shah said...

akakakaka *drooling*

06 November, 2007  
Blogger bola2api said...

HAHAHHAHA RUGI TAK JUMPA KAU!

sorrylah.. aku agak depress sbb kedai nasi lemak tu tutup.. so, lepas stopkan faie di situ, aku terus chow.. lepas tu baru teringat kat kau! too late. i was already at the junction, takleh nak patah balik...

tahun depan pakai la lagi camni.. mesti best!!!!!!

06 November, 2007  
Blogger Azman said...

Ali: Yaa. Memang gila.

Yip: I didn't actually run la. It's actually quite bahaya to run in a kain sarong. It gets windy. It was comfortable no doubt. Tapi nanti sekali terselak, habis semua orang kena santau.

Kenny: Don't worry lah. I wasn't the one who use that wonderjock underwear.

Eraser: Haha. Tau tak? Kat sana aku jumpa Hafiz, staff finance kat Talisman tu. Aku balik dengan dia la.

Shazly: Set up mcm mana? Taroh cermin sharpener kat kasut ke? Hihihi.

Jaja: Aishh... segan lah.

Aini: Pasal ni le aku hari tu tak jumpa cari ngko. Kalau pakai seluar senang je run around and cari-cari. Tapi nak mencari sambil duduk, agak leceh la jugak.

06 November, 2007  
Blogger nurina said...

Haha, actually you're not the first to show up at a run in sarong. PJ-half marathon had one lovely old Indian lady in a sarong and an old pair of sport shoes. (I think she was accompanying her grandchildren). She finished the 3km walking briskly.
I thought she was wonderfull; sports/running is not about fashion, newest sportwear etc ITS ABOUT PARTCIPATING
Any fashion advice for Powerman?

06 November, 2007  
Blogger Mohd Shazly Khan said...

nurina, you try laa nanti powerman wearing your duvet cover or something like that. hehe:P

06 November, 2007  
Blogger bola2api said...

nurina kena pakai bikini lak powerman nanti hehe

07 November, 2007  
Blogger nurina said...

I've outgrown my bikini's during my first pregnancy and never shrunk back to original size....
Not sure yet what to wear for Powerman. Clogs are damn difficult to clip unto the pedals...

07 November, 2007  
Blogger princessren said...

gosh.. hjehe.. thats so damn cool yo.. so u won the bet huh?!!! nway i wish i was thre.. but i just got to know that my cat died.. so i was in depression mode.. a lil bit ok now.. but i'm still sad :(

08 November, 2007  
Blogger Jing said...

OMG azman!!!

10 November, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ekcoli di SG, kalau ada activiti lari2 for charity ke marathon ke ramai yang dressed up dalam macam2 costume. Ini untuk motivate dan menghiburkan pelari2 lain. So sekadar pakai sarong tu tak lah teruk sangat.

Anyway... yang penting niat untuk tolong orang (for this case... cancer research). So wa caya sama lu lah brader \m/

22 November, 2007  
Blogger Azman said...

Thanks Minah Stapler. So you think this can be a first step for Malaysians? Lepas ni kita buat satu group le lari pakai sarong ramai-ramai. Sounds like fun. Hehehe.

22 November, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey why not! Let me know if you intend to do that... kita nak join sama lah (kalau berkemban bleh tak?)

Anyway like reading your blog bro *kenyit kenyit*

23 November, 2007  
Blogger Mohd Shazly Khan said...

If u do go ahead with the sarong team for next year's run, i'll be your first team member!

23 November, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home