Monday, April 13, 2009

Do YouTube?

I've always thought YouTube is a great tool looking up for music or video that I used to watch when I was growing up. Yesterday I found a new use for YouTube; listen to music I would otherwise never listen to. And no, I'm not talking about the post-modern emo rock bullshit.

I set search when I learnt that Steve Vai wrote a song after he was inspired by a Bulgarian folk song. And I came across this:


This dude owns. Checkout the ownage beginning at 1:30. It resembles the outro in Steve Vai's Freak Show Excess. I even think Steve might've ripped it off this one.


Another ownage. Check out the facial expression on the gadulka player. No expression? Exactly! Such calm and composed conduct. Good luck finding a guitar player as cool as this guy. Main tak seberapa, tapi ekspresi muka macam sembelit 2 minggu tak berak. Konon feel.


The Song of Seikilos. It is claimed to be the oldest completely manuscripted music, dating all the way back to the first century. The manuscript was written on a tombstone. I'm sure the claim can be easily disputed when people dig deeper into Chinese soil, but that doesn't make this song any less captivating.


Speaking of China, this is something I really like. I've heard of it previously. A senior in uni knows how to play this on er hu, and I still think he plays it better. This version is somehow different. The percussion, quicker tempo and the recording quality makes it sound like this was recorded in the Wild Wild West. It's as if after the performance, this guy in the video gets up, look at the camera and says "Well, ni hau ma, partner?"


Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Far too excellent, I'm out of words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home