Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Dave Matthews & Me



Only Dave Matthews could make 'Oh', 'Yeah' and 'Hey' sound so soothing that it calms you. Dave possess a voice of magical quality. People have liken his voice to a musical instrument rather than mere vocals.

His voice is mesmerizing. It captivates you and puts you under some kind of charm. Listened through a pair of headphones, it will put you under a state of trance of some sort.

I still remember listening exclusively to Dave Matthews Band for a few months while preparing for 3rd year exams. My notes from that period of time were riddled with snippets of lyrics from their songs.

Few weeks before the exams, and wanting some degree of isolation, I moved all my essential stuff into a friend's house. He had a small empty store room which was suitable as my 'isolation cave'. It was a very small room, measuring 6' x 8' - smaller than a prison cell.

I can't recall the exact colour of the walls. As what I had was only yellow light, I always remembered the room being of the yellow tone. The view out the window was not much, part of it was obstructed by the other condo block. It faced the direction of sunrise, but I guess I was never a morning person to witness any.

A word to describe the room - other than small - was dusty. The cement floor was always dusty. No matter how many times I've swept and mopped it, again and again, it was always dusty to the touch.

It wasn't anything spectacular, but it had everything I need. Table, chair, my notes, a table lamp, a box fan and a portable CD player.

You guessed it. Songs by Dave Matthews Band. Hundreds of them.



This is pretty much how the room looks like.


There is just something about listening to music in a confined space. With the proximity of the walls, floor and ceiling being so close to each other, and music through a pair of earphones that just saturates your senses, it was an overwhelming encounter. It gives you this sense of nothingness, other than what is in front of you.

This overwhelming experience was ingrained very deeply into the subconscious. This part of my life juts out significantly as I walk down memory lane.

And everytime I listen to the familiar songs, it brings me back to this very small room.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Azman,

I am from a media company and we are interested in getting you to do some advertorial work for us in your blog. Please drop me an email if you are interested at Mindy.Yu@groupm.com or call me at 27187883

Thanks!

Mindy

17 December, 2008  
Blogger Stupid_O said...

Crash Into Me is AWESOME!!! I was going through a break-up and that song and The Space between kept me company for long drives to nowhere :-)

17 December, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dave matthews band - stay

17 December, 2008  
Blogger Azman said...

Mindy: I appreciate the offer, but I'm not too keen on having ads on my blog. Thanks anyway. I take it as some recognition lah. Hehe. :D

O: Crash Into Me memang gempak habisss!!! Ants Marching, Lying In Our Graves, Drive In Drive Out are some of my favourites. Too bad the saxophonist passed on at an early age. R.I.P Leroi Moore.

Fairuz: Stay ke satay? Haha.

Fairuz:

18 December, 2008  
Blogger Intan said...

i used to play crash into me all over again for the whole day during my university days until my next door jiran knocked the door asking me to slow down the volume..listening to dave matthews is totally like reminiscing your long lost lover(s)..thanks for this post anyway..u remind me of the good old time that i'm beginning to forget!

22 December, 2008  
Blogger Azman said...

Supermummy: =) Dave Matthews Band is just right for university days innit?

22 December, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New album coming out in '09!

22 December, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

23 December, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home